I am a total beginner at soldering. Will I be able to build the kit successfully?
Some kits are welcomed for beginners, especially the smaller ones. Others require more skills in terms of soldering and recognizing electronic components. You can learn a lot by reading useful manuals (for example here). However the best way to develop your skills is just by doing it. We also try to provide you in-depth assembly guides so you don’t have to be afraid that you will stuck.
I think my built kit doesn’t work.
Ok, here is a list of common problems. Let’s check some things again:
– Check all soldered joints and look for bad ones. Re-heat and finish them.
– Be sure that the ICs and sockets are not in backwards.
– Be sure to push down the ICs into sockets properly.
– Be sure that the LEDs, electrolytic capacitors, diodes or other polarized components have proper orientation.
– If there are some jumpers, verify installing them on the right place.
– There are board schematics on our website. Try to solve the problem(s) using them.
I am totally stuck. Can you repair the kit?
Yes, we provide a repair service for built and not working kits here. For diy issues you can also reach us at diy[at]bastl-instruments.com. You have to send us detailed description of problem along with high-res photos of PCB(s) from all views: top, bottom, front, back and both sides.
Don’t give up!